Spiced toast, and other stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

+7
Aequus
Picasso
MozytheHealer
Zip
Elfie
Nayaby
Areada
11 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) - Page 3 Empty Re: Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

Post by Zip Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 am

Ahhhh...Nayaby! Someone payed attention to 1984!

doubleplus high five
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) - Page 3 Empty Re: Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome)

Post by Nayaby Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 am

I also paid attention to the rest of English class Razz

I jest! I jest!

1984 was probably my favourite mandatory read. I'd say it was Mutiny on the Bounty, but that wasn't really mandatory. I read a 400 page book for a tiny book report. Yep ^_^ Oh high school, how I miss how leisurely you were...

Speaking of Mutiny on the Bounty. I took out that book for my book report in ninth grade. I was a library steward, and at the end of my grade twelve year I was shelving books when I noticed Mutiny on the Bounty on the shelf next to another book I was putting back. Stricken by nostalgia, I picked it up and peeked inside. Turns out, nobody had taken it out since I had three and a half years prior Sad
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:40 am

There's just too much television on the weekend. Once Upon A Time, Legend of Korra, Mad Men, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I can't even get ahold of most of it. Such depression.

Last edited by Areada on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Areada
Areada
Admin

https://spicedtoaststories.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:07 pm

((Oh Vot. Did I type "payed" instead of paid?
...I'm not...I'm not myself anymore. Shocked))

Hrm...books I've read recently...I've recently been interested in the self-help genre so that I can joke about how stupid most of the advice is with my friends, but I'm also trying to find a copy of Catch-22 because I hear it's hilarious...

...I don't read that much anymore, and I'm pretty sure I'm upset about that.
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:10 am

I've been so busy that I barely have time to read either. : p

It's not fun.

But it does sometimes make it more special when I can fit in reading, you know? Like when I know I'll have a super long bus ride, or a day when my bag is light enough to take on a book or two. I've been thinking I'll read Robin Hobb's Assassins trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy again. They're amazing. I highly recommend them. They'll break your heart, though, in the best ways possible. But they're just what I'll need after this semester ends.

If you need some selling points on reading these books, here ya go.

freakin' awesome magics
freakin' awesome animal magics
freakin' awesome take on zombies
freakin' awesome worldbuilding
freakin' awesome plot twists
freakin' awesome mysteries
freakin' awesome awesomeness

Also, the characters are excellent. The hero is good. I don't like his official 'love and get married interest' all that much, but oh well. His two soulmate friends (and I mean every word of the term soulmate friends) are just brilliant, though. I mean, ahhhhhhh! Nighteyes is just fantastic and I believe The Fool is just the best ever. Ever. *loves The Fool so much* You've got to read it to believe it, I can't even describe very well. The one thing I could say is to quote somebody else about The Fool and it only pertains to one of The Fool's many aspects of crazy awesomeness.

Anyway.

Now that I've hyped those books to ridiculous extent, back to work.

(Don't read Robin Hobb's other stuff. She writes terrible women heroines. She does well on the secondary character front with women, but the big heroines are...yeah, just no. Well, I think. There could be one epic exception, but YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.)

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:47 pm

http://www.nick.com/games/legend-of-korra-welcome-to-republic-city.html?navid=showNav

I recommend this for any fans of Legend of Korra! It gives a lot of background information on the show! (For example, did you know Avatar Kyoshi lived to be 230 years old? She's the oldest Avatar in history!)

I'm done my exams Very Happy HUZZAH!

Maybe I'll look into those books sometime Areada. You've already got me planning on reading the Mistborn books this summer Razz

And because I can't end a discussion about books without my shameless plug: Read the Firekeeper Saga, by Jane Lindskold. It's the quenchiest!

Edit: According to the website, Zuko is still alive Very Happy His daughter is the new Fire Lord, and he now travels the world as an ambassador! That basically screams "Zuko will appear in a future episode of Korra" to me!

Also, Katara is a member of the Order of the White Lotus. I wonder if Zuko is... it didn't mention it.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 am

I KNOW. Zukoooo! I lovest theee!!! I lovest you alllll, characters of Avatar!!!

He's probably a member of the OWL. I mean, Iroh was.

YAY FOR BEING DONE WITH EXAMS (lucky lucky lucky you)

Haha, I bet you will love them (these Robin Hobb novels). I mean, they've got some brilliant character stuff. The Fool is...just....I mean...
Brandon Sanderson said in an interview that one of the characters he wished he'd written is The Fool. xD

I will look for the Firekeeper Saga as soon as our library becomes functional again...
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:39 am

O_O

That.

Was.

AWESOME!

Milo! That is not a toilet! Oh dear...

This episode of Korra actually paled in comparison to the previous three (though it was still good!), but I loved it for a simple reason: adult cameos.

Yes! ADULT CAMEOS! They happened!

I took screenshots because each one only lasted a fraction of a second. They're pretty awesome.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:44 am

ADULT TOPH!!!
 Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) - Page 3 Adultt11

ADULT SOKKA!!!
 Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) - Page 3 Adults10

ADULT AANG!!!
 Talk About Television (because it can be pretty awesome) - Page 3 Adulta10

Aang looks so... mature! And Sokka is the spitting image of Hakoda! And Toph is so... PERFECTLY TOPH-LIKE!

And this is why I loved the latest episode of Korra. Even though the episode itself was my least favourite of the four so far...
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:00 pm

I have not seen it, but the episode was leaked earlier this week so I unfortunately know all about it. *sigh* I am really waiting to watch to form an opinion on Asami. I want her to be really cool, but so far apparently she's just a generally mundane pretty and nice person. I don't know. But I have seen those wonderful adult pictures! I do wish Toph had a different hairstyle (it doesn't suit a tall person, I thought), but oh well.

I do, however, hear that Korra got some excellent character-building, even if certain other secondary characters aren't shining as much as everyone would like at this point. But I say, the primary focus of development ought to be Korra right now. I can live with secondary characters floating around half-developed for a few more episodes.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 pm

Ahahaha, so I was reading this review of the latest Game of Thrones episode and the last line was all like, 'So, after this episode, which three characters would YOU like to see dead? Wait, scratch that, which two characters + Joffrey?'

Truer words were ne'er spoken.

Oh, and Once Upon A Time was pretty decent this week! I'm liking where this is going.

Hrm...anything else? Have not watched much new stuff this week, just rewatching Slings and Arrows. I love that show so much. So much. It's just beautiful. It's also one of the only shows that make me want to reach into my television and strangle people personally.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 am

I haven't watched TV this week, or at least any of it I can remember.

...Not sure if that's a problem or not.
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Wed May 02, 2012 3:07 am

Areada wrote:just rewatching Slings and Arrows

Holy six degrees of separation Batman!

Slings and Arrows > Mark McKinney > High School > Nayab

Ok, four degrees of separation. I just Googled that and realized I went to the same high school as the creator of Slings and Arrows. Never heard of the show before though.

That said, Conrad Black also went to my high school. He was expelled you know xP
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Wed May 02, 2012 10:34 am

!!! DEGREES OF SEPARATION.

Following that train of thought you are all four or five degrees away from the cast of Firefly and probably every Joss Whedon project ever because of me, since I have a friend who knows the actor who plays Jayne in Firefly.

It's hilarious that Mark McKinney went to your highschool at one point, though. He also acts in the show, all three creators do, actually. Two (Mark Mckinney and another) have really big roles and one only has a kind of cameo part, but oh well. They're all quite fantastic. Even if Mark McKinney's character is one of the ones I want to strangle a lot of the time.

Slings and Arrows is a Canadian show, actually! It's really good. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the theatre, Shakespeare, immensely flawed people, and the pure beauty of true wonder. Also, it will make you cry at some points. Most likely. That might just be me, though, affected by the gravitas of some of the Shakespeare...

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Sat May 05, 2012 5:11 pm

New episode of Korra! I see they're dealing with shipping already...
Also? Bolin's my new favorite character. Now. Just because of this episode.
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat May 05, 2012 6:22 pm

They have to be dealing with shipping already. We're on episode five, and I believe there are only twelve episodes this season :/

I could be wrong. In fact, I hope very much that I'm wrong!

I wonder what they're going to call the next book? We've had Water, Earth, Fire, and now Air. 'Energy' perhaps? Maybe 'Water Redux'.

Now to actually watch the new episode! Thanks for reminding me Zip! TO THE INTERNET!*

*Normally, I'd have watched it legally, but I'm Canadian. That means I can't legally watch Korra for another month or so. Eh, I'm a rebel!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sat May 05, 2012 11:41 pm

So much shipping. Haven't even seen it yet, but the gifs, and the pics, they are everywhere.

I just don't know what to think. I don't. I know who I ship, and I wish they'd get their acts together and stop being in difficult situations. At least ONE of them has the gumption to be brave and take risks even if said risks aren't completely socially acceptable *mumblegrumble*

But my favorite ship is Korra/Happiness. She's fantastic and I just want her to be happy.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sun May 06, 2012 12:08 am

After watching the new episode I've begun to compare Avatar to Dragon Age xD

The Last Airbender = Dragon Age: Origins
The main character discovers he has a grand destiny that only he can accomplish and must travel the world to do so. Along the way he meets a variety of friends and allies, but relationships are important, but somewhat played down because the entire world is at stake.

The Legend of Korra = Dragon Age 2
The main character moves to a big city, and the majority of the story is relegated to this location. The sequel seems to delve into the personal lives of the characters even more, though it's not the same epic adventure. Because it's not 'epic' enough, and people can't help but compare it to the original, a lot of folk say it's no good, but it's actually a great story if you give it a chance! I mean, even though the developers recycled the same dungeons throughout doesn't mean you can't appreciate the revised and way better control scheme!!!

Wait, ignore that last sentence. It has nothing to do with Korra O_O
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sun May 06, 2012 9:20 am

Comparing things to the original can be real difficult because it's harder to see the newer thing in an unbiased way (and I use the real, legal definition of bias there). Personally, though there is all the shipping, I think Korra is a good story, and I kind of like that they went blatant with the romance very quickly, so perhaps they won't fell so obliged to build up tension/romance in episodes where they really just want to have big long fights or something. You know? Trying a different thing from Avatar, but not necessarily a BAD other thing.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

A neat season finale for Once Upon A Time!

Spoiler:

While I'm posting, I should also say that the last episode of Korra was awesome! I downloaded the official Pro-Bending rulebook from nick.com too. I want to play... but darn physics is limiting!

If I was a bender, my element would be water. Most versatile and useful element by far!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat May 19, 2012 12:53 pm

New Korra! Is loading O_O Looooaaaadiiiiing...

Wait. Wait. Wait.

Edit:

‎Reporter: "Is it true that CabbageCorp is conspiring with the Equalists?"

Chief Bei-Fong: "The evidence points in that direction, but the investigation is ongoing. For the time being we have frozen Mr. Gonlong's assets, and are closing CabbageCorp."

Mr. Gonlong: "Noooooo! Not my CabbageCorp!"

Last edited by Nayaby on Sat May 19, 2012 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : MY CABBAGES!)
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat May 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Not really television, but a video game trailer comes close enough, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e2SA4GyXb2U

There is so much epic packed into that four minutes and fifty seconds O_O
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Fri May 25, 2012 4:49 pm

I am so not up to date on Korra. The Nick site doesn't work for me! SUCH DEPRESSION.

Yeah, the finale for Once Upon A Time was quite cool. I can't help but feel, though, that the show isn't quite as good as it was when it began. I'll keep watching, but something is starting to feel off about it.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:23 pm

You can find Korra all over the Internet! I don't even have a specific website I use, just a Google search whenever a new episode is out. I saw the latest episode just now on Gogoanime dot com. Never mind that Avatar isn't even anime, which is very difficult to explain to some people... xD

The latest episode was AWESOME! One of my favourites so far. It was borderline political satire in fact.

I want to see Korra in some Avatar State action already!

Spoiler:
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Spoiler:
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next