Spiced toast, and other stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT NANOWRIMO????

+2
Nayaby
Areada
6 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT NANOWRIMO???? - Page 5 Empty Re: WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT NANOWRIMO????

Post by Nayaby Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:03 pm

Oh, spiritual! Well then, maybe they're being drawn to the other side of the country to witness an event? They don't know why they're going there until they witness this event and realize it. And of course, this event should somehow reinforce the character-growth that occurred over the course of the trip.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT NANOWRIMO???? - Page 5 Empty Re: WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT NANOWRIMO????

Post by Areada Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:12 pm

I actually feel like I have an interesting purpose now (just thought of it). They are going to deliver a package to a very important place. They will understand the significance when they get there, because the package will only make sense in context of the place they need to get it to. So the story is going to be ridiculously symbolic now, but that's okay because the story is for ME and I like symbolism.

But I'm having trouble fitting in the character relationship thing. What would be the point of putting two people through a difficult emotional and mental experience as they take this journey? What point is that going to make? Is it purposeless? That could be a decent point. Maybe the character story is the interpretive part...hmmm...

Areada
Areada
Admin

https://spicedtoaststories.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Aequus Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 am

You could have one of the characters spend the trip trying to get the other character to understand some point or something, and have the parallel between the point and the package?
Aequus
Aequus
Bringer of Joy

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 am

I thought a lot about parallels. I'm still considering, though. I feel most parallels would be very contrived, at least so far.

I think I've got a handle on it, though. It's getting there. What if the character point is to prove something important, and the package is simply to do something important. That could work out in a complimentary way.

Of course, if this turns out to be too difficult, the plot point can go back to being vague.

I have officially decided that this story is not to be taken literally

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MozytheHealer Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 am

I just validated my word count. HUZZAH!!!!!
MozytheHealer
MozytheHealer
NinjaPirate Rubberducky

Location : Walking into Mordor with style, as that is obviously the best way to walk into Mordor

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 pm

I have another question I would appreciate some input on.

If a character is in a position of leading a great many people, and also has a secret that must be maintained, is it better to not be honest with those people in the interest of safety, or to be honest and risk the secret getting out? Will the people turn against them if they feel they have been led, or do you think the trust could be sufficient enough for them to understand?

Basically, if you have a palace full of people and an important person is murdered, and you want to keep it a secret that they are dead, do you tell everyone that trusts you to lead them and hope they will be quiet about it, or do you lie to them the same as the rest of the world? Of course it will be situational to some extent, but which is going to work out best in the long run for their stability as a leader?

I am leaning towards the lie. There is a really huge safety risk if the secret gets out... as in a war would start literally within hours. I think that honesty may not need to be the focus here...although I worry that it will damage things later on. But I guess that could be interesting to explore as well

so many things to think about...only 5000 words to go...

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MozytheHealer Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:19 pm

I think that if you truly trust the people that you would be telling and if you know that they deserve that trust, than it isn't to much of a risk, really. You could always have this character test them by telling them a lie that has nothing to do with it but seems important and telling them that it is a secret and then just seeing if they tell anyone. I don't know if your character has enough time for that, though. But if she can keep it a secret already, I would assume that she(?) does.
MozytheHealer
MozytheHealer
NinjaPirate Rubberducky

Location : Walking into Mordor with style, as that is obviously the best way to walk into Mordor

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

But there's A LOT of people. It's not just a friend group thing. And the secret is incredibly controversial.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Won. That's three years of wins!

I would celebrate more, but I have a project due tonight.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:11 pm

NaNoWriMo is over, but I'm still writing! Anyway, I have a question for anyone who can answer it. I couldn't find an answer on Google :/

If someone was slashed across the throat with a blade, would it be possible for them to survive with their vocal cords severed? I ask for the sake of a mute character with a nasty scar across her neck. I don't want her to have to rely on any magic or special technology, but would if that's the only feasible way she could have survived.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lycanthrope Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:02 pm

Hey guys!~ Happy Belated Birthday Nayaby!~

Regarding your question, it is possible to survive. Cutting through the thyroid cartilage, one can sever the vocal cords. However, it should be a very precise and shallow cut that only severs the vocal cords - any deeper, the esophagus can be damaged. And if too long, the cut can sever the cartilage or cut the thyrohyoid muscle, limiting movement in the neck. A 4-5 cm horizontal scar below the Adam's Apple may be plausible.
A vertical cut can also produce the same effect. However, the question of deepness plays again - cannot pierce the larynx into the esophagus. And length. Too high, and the superior laryngeal nerve/artery are at risk, and the epiglottis. Too low and you're cutting multiple ligaments that support the neck. 2 - 3 cm incision across and below Adam's apple may work.
^All theory. Laryngeal surgeries normally never cut that high to put the vocal cords in danger.

Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks Lycan. I had originally intended it to be a battle wound, but that seems quite a bit unlikely for a wound sustained in a fight to be that... perfect. It does open up the possibility of a really cruel character giving her the wound as punishment though. I think I could go with that. Thanks!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lycanthrope Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 pm

It could be a failed assassination attempt?

Lycanthrope

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5