Spiced toast, and other stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

2 posters

Go down

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS Empty BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

Post by Areada Sat May 12, 2012 9:32 am

I can't believe we don't have a topic for books yet! Ahh!

I felt inclined to make this mostly so I could spazz about a new book I am to acquire today. I am very excited. This topic requires no lists of favorite books, no regular participation, simply the space to randomly spazz, or perhaps just rant about because you love the book so much. Or talk about why you like books. Or explain why you like to eat them. I don't know. Anything related to books is awesome.

So!

I like books a lot! I don't discriminate based on the target age group, I feel this is important to say. If I don't read a book, it's probably because I decided that I, personally, would not really like it. It has nothing to do with target age group. Which is why I am such a freaking huge fan of so many youth and young adult books. I will delight in the antics of child genius Artemis Fowl, get significantly creeped out by the hair-raising perils the Mysterious Benedict Society faces, and Make Way For Ducklings is, in fact, the best book ever.

This is all an intro because I am going to spazz about a children's series called THE SISTERS GRIMM. Their last book came out this month and in a matter of hours I will be holding book 9, the Council of Mirrors in my own two hands and devouring it with an unholy speed. Such is the way of my life.

The Sisters Grimm is somewhat close to the premise of Once Upon A Time, for those of you who watch, (though the Sisters Grimm was started many many years before, my family has been following this book series for some time now), with fairy-tale characters in the real world, with real identities. Many are, indeed, trapped in a little town, and that is where most of the story happens, when two sisters, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are sent to their umpteenth foster home, to live with their Granny Relda, who resides in this town of fairy-tale characters. All of whom are quite aware of their identities and rather dangerous to boot.

You'll laugh! You'll cry! It's hilarious fun. I love it. And I finally get to know how the story ends. This just might be the best feeling in the world...

It might not be a book to all of your tastes, but then again, I just wanted to spazz. No pressure to actually read it. xD
Areada
Areada
Admin

https://spicedtoaststories.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS Empty Re: BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

Post by Nayaby Sun May 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Your post makes me want to read the Silverwing Trilogy again. It was my favourite series as a kid! I was so little, and I remember being utterly depressed at the end of Firewing. Anyone who's read them would know exactly what I'm talking about. Children's books shouldn't have such downer endings! Looking online, it turns out there's a prequel to the series! Maybe I'll read that Very Happy

I also looked a little bit into The Sisters Grimm. It reminds me somewhat of A Series of Unfortunate Events for some reason. I think I'm going to pick Mistborn instead though Razz Once I finish my current book of Hitchhiker's Guide of course. I have them all, but I like to read other books in between. I love Douglas Adams, but too much of his writing in a short period of time causes me to think like the book is written. Probably not a good thing.

Now, this topic is about books yes? In that case, prepare yourself for EPIC SHAMELESS PLUG!!!

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS 9780812575484
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sun May 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Mistborn first, definitely. The Sisters Grimm would be easy, hilarious, short books.

Sisters Grimm isn't really like A Series of Unfortunate Events I think. It's more like Once Upon A Time or the Percy Jackson books, but, well...I don't know. Better. I like them better than Once Upon A Time and Percy Jackson. They're interesting, I really like the characters even if many people find them extremely obnoxious, including the other characters. They're funny in silly ways, gross ways, ridiculous ways...but overall I just find them entertaining and good-hearted and silly fun. And yeah, I just got really attached to the characters. That's not to say everyone who reads them will, but they definitely struck a chord with me for some reason or another.

I've never read A Series Of Unfortunate Events, though, but another series I like 'The Name Of This Book Is Secret' is said to be rather like them.

Check out the Robin Hobb two trilogies sometime, though. Assassins and Tawny Man trilogies. They're amazing. (And one of the best characters is a wolf. I sense you like wolves.)

I WILL CHECK OUT THAT BOOK, I SWEAR. As soon as our library becomes more functional.
Areada
Areada
Admin

https://spicedtoaststories.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum