Spiced toast, and other stories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redpoemage's Board for General Roleplaying Disscussion

+5
MozytheHealer
Zip
Areada
Nayaby
redpoemage
9 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Redpoemage's Board for General Roleplaying Disscussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Redpoemage's Board for General Roleplaying Disscussion

Post by Areada Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:27 am

Zip, chill, you aren't playing volleyball. No need to get all flameo on things.
Areada
Areada
Admin

https://spicedtoaststories.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Redpoemage's Board for General Roleplaying Disscussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Redpoemage's Board for General Roleplaying Disscussion

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 am

Ahaa! I never did get into Artemis Fowl, though I've heard some pretty good things about them.

They aren't really on my list of books either, since it's a whole series. Hunger Games is on my list though, but a little way down it. I keep being told to read it, but I'm not terribly drawn to it as much as other books.

That's quite alright Zip. If it were Star Wars trivia, I would wipe the floor with you, twice, and the walls and ceiling too Razz

Flameo hotmen! Er... Hotman and hotwoman!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 am

Well, I'd kill you all in Lord of The Rings trivia, so eh. We've all got our areas of expertise. All of us together, we're UNSTOPPABLE.

Artemis Fowl is a fairly hilarious, easy read. Never read Hunger games, though. Not really my thing...

I want some fire flakes now.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:49 am

I've always wanted to try flaming fire flakes. I love spicy food, so they sound like something I'd really enjoy.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 am

Oh, I've read the Hunger Games.

They're fairly, ehm, ahh...dark, especially towards the third book.

*hangs head in shame* I'm not really involved in any fandom. Sad

Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 am

I thought they were rather dark. One of the reasons I've avoided them. You know, the whole "pitting children in gladiatorial combat" thing. I like a bit of darkness in stories, but I prefer it not to be overbearing.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 am

Yeah. I'm mostly just not into battle royale type stories. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie gave me nightmares. There's something particularly awful about the 'last man standing' scenario.
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:15 am

Sometimes the hero/heroine is forced to commit horrible deeds for the greater good, but there's something just too distasteful about making children kill other children, which is why I keep putting off reading it.

And I'm the sort of person who usually loves putting characters through terrible ethical ordeals!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:20 am

Sometimes you have to be careful that it's an actual ethical dilemma, though. Some stuff is just a given, if you look carefully. Take, for instance, the issue of the destruction of humanity vs. the destruction of the world. This may seem like a horrid dilemma, but once you realize that humanity dies both ways, it's not as difficult a choice. Also, there's always a deus ex machina in these cases (or so you think it is when you first experience the story). I am fond of a well-set up and foreshadowed one that you go back and re-read and think IT WAS SO OBVIOUS. I get this awesome feeling when a storyteller tricks me.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:33 am

That's true enough. Most pacifist heroes are eventually confronted with the choice of either killing and losing their 'innocence' to complete their quest, or giving up the quest in order to maintain the innocence. And then they kill.

This was actually my one and only gripe with The Last Airbender. Aang's energybending was such a Deus Ex Machina. And a lion turtle taught it to him? What?

Aang finds a picture of a lion turtle and shows it to Katara during The Library, but besides that, there is no indication or foreshadowing about this. In the end, I wasn't a fan of Aang preserving his innocence in such a way.

And when you think about it, Aang actually has killed before. In the Avatar State, he causes massive destruction. Deaths may not be shown on screen, but can anyone really believe *every* Fire Nation Soldier survived these bouts? And the Siege on the North is also important. He sinks twelve Fire Navy ships. I suppose *all* of those firebenders in the ice cold water managed to swim to safety. Nobody drowned of course!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:41 am

Yeah. But remember, Zuko needs to find his mommy. xD So Ozai had to live.

Now, if they'd just put in that storyline, then Ozai could die. Then I would have more of a problem with Aang doing that. But I agree, I dislike the idea of 'protecting innocence'. Though it really depends on the type of innocence as well. Don't ever get me started on Isabella from Measure for Measure.

Pacifist heroes are all very well, but they are the best when they come to terms with humanity, and yet are able to remain true to basic morality. Not things like 'not killing', in a war time, but things like 'not killing unnecessarily' and 'no genocide' and 'don't get angsty on your friends because they're going through hell for you, you know'

If you ever want a good read on various types of people and how they cope with difficult decisions, the novels of Brandon Sanderson are really excellent. He's an accomplished fantasy writer who not only stocks chekov's armories (you may want to refer to The Unmentionable Black Hole of Time for that term) like he's preparing for the zombie apocalypse, he also manages to create huge, scoping storylines with incredibly human characters and all manner of dilemmas. In particular, his Mistborn Trilogy has some of the most interesting and complex characters and motivations and development I've ever read.

Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:48 am

Hmm, I think I'll look some of that stuff up later. Mistborn sounds more around my alley than Hunger Games.

Have I ever recommended Through Wolf's Eyes, by Jane Lindskold? Probably multiple times, aha. It's an obscure first book in a six-book series. I absolutely love these books. Political intrigue, subdued fantasy in the first book which leads to gradual awesome magical stuff as the series progresses, epic battles, and amazing characters! It's not officially done, but I consider it two trilogies, since the last three books are fairly different from the first three.

P.S. I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled tea but... it's just so sad!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:31 pm

I just realized... Jet went really crazy when he suspected Iroh of heating his tea with firebending, but a waterbender could have done the same thing! Waterbenders can manipulate the state of water to make ice and vapour, so it's believable that they can boil water too.

Edit:
Chittering monkey,
In the spring he climbs tree tops,
And thinks himself tall.

Ooooooooo!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:26 pm

I love Clueless, but it's been a little slow... hasn't it. I think I'm waiting for Zip.

Anyway, I hesitate to start this, but would anyone be interested in a Cloudstone RP? Play as your character!
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Elfie Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:33 pm

It has. I want to write for Bradley again but no one is posting. *fidgets*

YES! I would. I really love that world, and its potential. I'm hoping for great things, but in the meantime, an RP about it would be nice, in my opinion. I think I'm going to write a few short stories about it, too...
Elfie
Elfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:47 pm

I think of Cloudstone as a sort of Skybound Jr.

Areada and I made up a little world, which just happens to be made up of floating islands. We came up with it completely independently of Cloudstone! In fact, it's slightly the successor of my failed Shattered Skies project, you might remember that Jasmine. Besides having floating islands though, the lore is totally different. No gelatinous blobs or green people. It's slightly irksome that floating islands are so popular all of a sudden. Ah, who am I kidding: floating islands are AWESOME!

I want to write about my troll, so I think I'll actually start this RP and see if it catches on. Clueless takes priority though.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Elfie Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Oh, yeah, I remember Shattered Skies vaguely. Too bad it failed!

Of course. But it'll be nice to have a little RP on the side, when Clueless is in a slump... like now.
Elfie
Elfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Oh, but I was waiting for Areada, so we could do the Rhorzan riders meeting.
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey guys?

Remember that game in the old forums we used to play called "Werewolf" or some variation like that? Where one person was the werewolf, and he would kill one person off every week or so, unless we could find him/her/TAsP? Someone else would also die if we voted the wrong person off...?(Would this end in a period or a question mark? I'm not sure if I'm stating something or just doing the thing where everything I say has an inflection at the end.)

Uhh, would you guys be into doing that as a roleplay set in earlier Magnificence?

The premise is that the Kingdom of Godwin's created a special orb in collaboration with Cyrillian engineers that allows a thing magical barrier against the chaos that permeates the more dangerous parts of the Chaos Lands, allowing a small team of boffins to research what makes the Chaos Lands so different from the more judicial parts of Magnificence.

Problem is, something's going wrong* and the team starts dying off, one by one. Due to some obscure local tradition, and terrified for their lives, the group decides to vote for who dies in some tribute...thing.
...See below.

Ahh, anyway(s), killing the killer isn't the only end goal of the roleplay. You could find a cure for the...buw[-fwang;nvng;nhgorehnguiqe34wehqogvnhospgvse

Yeah. It sounded better in my head. But you get the basic idea, right?

*I'm not sure what exactly, though, so anyone mind PMing me to help me flesh out the story?
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 pm

OOOh! Sounds like that could be fun! Could be a neat little game to play that gives some backstory to Magnificence.

I also had an idea, and I've been dying to share it with you guys:

An RPG. You know, classic Dungeons and Dragons style. I have a D20, and Wilson The Volleyball could be the Gamemaster. I won't play if you guys don't think it would be fair, but I'm an honest guy and wouldn't lie about my rolls Razz

In fact, I'm going to talk to Wilson right now about this and see if he'll agree to GM for us. I really think this would be extremely fun! We could set it in Magnificence too Very Happy
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson The Volleyball Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 pm

I would certainly be interested in playing Gamemaster, sir.
Wilson The Volleyball
Wilson The Volleyball

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayaby Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:18 pm

Erp... I knew there would be math involved, but I didn't realize just how many different formulae I'd have to come up with... I'm only going to bother with this if enough people will actually play. I'd hate to put all that effort in only to have nobody interested.
Nayaby
Nayaby
Le Rogue en Rouge

Back to top Go down

Post by MozytheHealer Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:51 pm

I'll play. It sounds fun. :{D
MozytheHealer
MozytheHealer
NinjaPirate Rubberducky

Location : Walking into Mordor with style, as that is obviously the best way to walk into Mordor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zip Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:12 am

Oooh, I'm "d" with some D&D action!
*suppresses gigglesnorting action*
Zip
Zip
Zhe Moron

Back to top Go down

Post by Areada Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 am

Oh Hrm. Give me a moment on that D&D idea...
Areada
Areada
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next